Have you ever found yourself falling in love with a destination during a vacation and wishing you could stay just a little bit longer? Or maybe a work trip needs to be extended to finish an important project? Whatever the reason, sometimes we all want to prolong our hotel stays beyond the original booking.
Extending your hotel reservation can allow you to soak up more of the experiences that a destination has to offer. With some advanced planning and flexibility, you can likely negotiate a great rate for those extra nights too. This guide will provide tips to help you extend your next hotel stay with ease.
Check Availability with the Hotel
The first step is always to check with the hotel directly to see if extending your stay is even possible. Here are some of the best ways to inquire about availability:
- Call the front desk – Speaking directly with hotel staff gives you the chance to explain your situation and make a polite request.
- Visit the front desk in person – Stop by the front desk and chat in person about the possibility of staying longer. The face-to-face interaction can help, especially if you’ve built rapport with staff during your trip.
- Use the hotel’s online chat feature – Many hotel websites now have 24/7 chat functions. This allows you to inquire about availability even when the front desk isn’t staffed.
Whenever you reach out, remember to be gracious and polite in your request. Hotels are much more likely to work with guests who are respectful, regardless of whether they’re able to accommodate an extended stay.
Tips for Checking Availability
- Ask if the hotel has any upcoming dates with low occupancy – They may be able to offer discounted rates on nights that tend to be slower.
- Inquire about room availability for your preferred dates – If your exact room is booked, ask if they have any other rooms that could work.
- Let them know if you’re flexible on room type – Taking a slightly smaller room could increase your chances if availability is tight.
|Call Front Desk||Personal touch||Limited hours|
|Visit in Person||Build rapport||Staff may be busy|
|Online Chat||24/7 availability||Less personal|
Negotiate the Best Rate
Once you’ve secured a room, it’s time to negotiate the nightly rate. As an existing guest, you often have more leverage than a brand new booking. Here are some tips to get the best deal:
- Ask about promotions or discounts – Many hotels offer special rates for extended stays. Inquire if any deals could apply to your dates.
- Reference any lower rates you’ve found – If you spot a better rate on another site, politely ask if they can match or beat it. Most hotels want to keep you as a guest.
- Loyalty pays off – If you’re a member of the hotel’s loyalty program, highlight your status and loyalty when negotiating. You may unlock special discounts.
- Consider using points – If you’ve accumulated loyalty program points, see if you can put them towards your extension. This can help lower the cost.
Getting just 10% off your nightly rate could lead to big savings over multiple extra nights. The more flexible you can be with dates, the better deal you can likely score.
Book Through Third-Party Sites
While booking directly through the hotel is ideal, turning to third-party sites like Expedia or Booking.com can sometimes yield a lower rate. Here are some tips for scoring deals:
- Compare rates across multiple sites – Rates can vary between sites, so check them all to find the best deal.
- Use a site with price matching – Some sites will match a lower rate if you find one elsewhere after booking.
- Look for special discounts – Sites may offer promo codes or flash deals that undercut the hotel’s direct pricing.
- Leverage loyalty perks – If you have status with a third-party site, you may unlock exclusive member pricing.
As long as the reservation is fully refundable, it doesn’t hurt to book third-party as a backup. You can always cancel if the hotel offers a better final price.
Recommended Hotel Booking Sites
- Expedia – Price match guarantee available
- Booking.com – Genius loyalty program offers discounts
- Hotels.com – Earn a free night after 10 nights booked
Other Tips for Extending Your Stay
- Add extra nights one at a time – If the hotel is initially reluctant, try asking for just 1-2 more nights first.
- Consider switching rooms – Changing to a different room type can make extra dates possible.
- Plan your request in advance – Asking to extend just a day or two before departure limits options.
- Inquire early in your stay – This gives the hotel more notice to accommodate the request.
- Avoid peak event dates – Prices usually skyrocket when big conferences or festivals are happening.
- Travel during off-peak seasons – Hotels are more likely to offer discounts when demand is lower.
Enjoy an Extended Hotel Stay
With some advanced planning, patience, and flexibility, extending your hotel reservation is absolutely possible. Keep the tips in this guide in mind, and be ready to negotiate. With the right approach, you can avoid having to pack up those bags and check out. Instead, you can prolong your travels in comfort and style while taking advantage of some great perks.
What techniques have you tried when wanting to extend a hotel stay? Did you score any notable discounts or upgrades? Share your experiences below!
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can I extend my hotel stay online?
A: Yes, most hotels offer online extensions through their websites or apps. Simply log in, select your reservation, and extend your stay.
Q: Is it possible to extend my stay at the hotel front desk?
A: Yes, you can inquire about extending your stay at the hotel’s front desk. They’ll assist you with availability and rates.
Q: What’s the best time to request a hotel stay extension?
A: It’s advisable to request an extension in advance, ideally a day or more before your original check-out date, to secure availability.
Q: Are there any additional charges for extending my hotel stay?
A: Yes, extending your stay may incur additional charges. Check with the hotel for the cost and any special offers.
Q: Can I extend my hotel stay if the hotel is fully booked?
A: It depends on availability. During peak times, extending may be challenging. Plan ahead or consider nearby accommodations.
Q: What happens if I don’t request an extension and stay longer?
A: If you stay beyond your reservation without extending, the hotel may charge you a higher rate or ask you to vacate.
Q: Can I change my room when extending my hotel stay?
A: Depending on availability, you may change rooms when extending. Inquire with the hotel about your preferences.
Q: Can I extend my stay at a discounted rate?
A: Some hotels offer discounts for longer stays. Ask about extended stay rates or promotions when extending your reservation.
Q: How long can I extend my hotel stay for?
A: The duration of your extension depends on hotel policies and room availability. It can range from a day to several weeks.
Q: Can I cancel my extended hotel stay if plans change?
A: Yes, you can typically cancel an extended stay, but cancellation policies and fees may apply. Contact the hotel promptly to make changes.