Getting a hot, cheesy pizza delivered right to your hotel room door can be a convenient and tasty option when traveling. But can you really order pizza delivery to a hotel? The answer depends on several factors.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll discuss everything you need to know about ordering pizza to your hotel, from hotel policies to delivery service options. Read on for tips and recommendations to make sure you can get that pizza pie sent straight to your room, no matter where you’re staying.
Quick Answer 👇
You can usually get pizza delivered to a hotel; just provide the hotel’s address for delivery.
Factors That Affect Pizza Delivery to Hotels
There are a few key things that determine whether or not you can get pizza or other food delivered to your hotel room:
- Hotels have varying policies when it comes to food delivery. Some prohibit outside food completely, while others are more flexible. Make sure to check the hotel’s policy in advance.
- Many hotels allow food delivery but impose extra fees, such as a delivery or service charge. Expect fees around $5-10 per order.
- Some hotels only allow delivery during certain hours, such as after their own kitchen has closed for the evening.
Delivery Service Limitations
- Not all restaurants or food delivery apps will deliver to hotels, especially smaller independent restaurants. Larger chains are more likely to accommodate hotel deliveries.
- Food delivery services like GrubHub and Uber Eats may be limited by proximity. Make sure there are drivers available near your hotel.
- Delivery minimums may apply. Some services require a $10-15 minimum for hotel deliveries.
Location and Access
- Hotels in remote areas or far from restaurants may not have delivery options available.
- The hotel layout impacts delivery access. Food likely can’t be delivered to rooms accessed only via elevators or interior hallways.
- Gated resorts or secured hotels can complicate the delivery process and limit options.
Tips for Ordering Pizza Delivery to a Hotel Room
If your hotel does allow outside food delivery, follow these tips to make sure your pizza or other food order arrives fresh and hot:
Provide Complete Hotel Details
- When placing your order, give the full hotel name, street address, and your room number.
- Let the restaurant know you are ordering room service to a hotel so they’re prepared.
- Specify any special delivery instructions, like using a side or back entrance.
Call Ahead to the Hotel
- Contact the front desk before ordering food to alert them.
- Verify food deliveries are permitted and if any policies or fees apply.
- Ask about the best delivery entrance and get recommendations from the concierge.
Look for Nearby Restaurant Options
- Check for open restaurants located close by your hotel to broaden your options.
- Travel booking sites and apps like TripAdvisor, Yelp, or HotelTonight can locate area eateries.
- This hotel room service guide lists nationwide and regional chains that deliver to hotels.
Provide a Generous Timeframe
- Give the restaurant an extra 15-30 minutes leeway in case of traffic or other delays in finding your room.
- If you’ll be out of the room, provide a delivery window and contact info so you can meet them.
- For late night orders, make sure the restaurant and hotel desk will still be staffed.
Tip Your Delivery Driver
- Throw in a nice tip for the effort of navigating to your room, especially for late night or large orders.
- If access is difficult, consider meeting them in the lobby to save them time.
Popular Food Delivery Services for Hotels
These popular national delivery services can be great options for getting pizza or other foods sent to your hotel room:
Grubhub partners with many regional and local restaurants. They have delivery drivers in most cities and metro areas across the U.S.
- Broad restaurant selection beyond just pizza
- Occasional discounts and promos
- Extra fees like small order and service fees apply
- Minimum order amounts may be required
DoorDash offers delivery from a wide range of local restaurants and major chains. They operate in thousands of cities in the U.S. and Canada.
- DashPass subscription includes free delivery
- Large driver network can accommodate hotels
- Limited availability in more remote hotel locations
- DoorDash Drive catering service requires large minimum purchases
The Uber Eats app lets you order delivery from restaurants in hundreds of U.S. and international cities.
- Offers contactless delivery
- Fast ETA estimates based on nearby drivers
- Smaller restaurant selection in less populated areas
- Surge pricing during peak times causes high fees
Typical Hotel Food Delivery Policies
Hotels have unique needs when it comes to accommodating food deliveries for guests. Here are some standard hotel policies to be aware of:
Delivery Fees and Service Charges
Most hotels charge additional fees for food deliveries, typically around $5-10 per order. This helps cover the cost of extra staff involvement and security.
Set Delivery Hours
Many hotels only allow deliveries during limited hours, usually after their kitchen has closed. Typical delivery windows are from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.
Meet in Lobby Policy
For security, some hotels require the guest to meet the delivery person in the lobby rather than allowing deliveries directly to rooms, especially at night.
Notification and Approval
Hotels commonly require guests to notify the front desk before placing a delivery order. The staff may need to approve each order.
Ban on Outside Alcohol
Most hotels prohibit delivery of alcoholic beverages to prevent violations of their liquor license terms.
Limited Access Points
For security, hotels limit the entrances delivery drivers can use, like side or back doors rather than the main lobby entrance.
Right to Inspect Items
Hotels may inspect any delivered packages to ensure they only contain food items before allowing them to be taken to rooms.
How to Order Hotel Room Service
If you prefer the convenience of eating in your room without even having to order delivery, hotel room service can be a great option. Here are some tips for ordering room service:
Check Room Service Hours
Room service hours at hotels are often limited and may end as early as 10 p.m. Make sure to order early enough.
Peruse the Room Service Menu
In-room dining menus offer a variety of food and beverage items. Browse all your options before you order.
Dial Room Service Extension
Pick up your in-room phone and dial the restaurant or room service extension. Describe your order to the operator.
Specify Room Number and Time
Give your room number and tell them when you would like the order delivered. Build in extra time.
Add a Service Charge Tip
Room service bills typically include a service charge. Add an extra tip for exceptional service.
Set Up Table
While you wait, use the foldout table and have silverware ready for when your hot food arrives.
Pay with Room Charge
At checkout, your room service orders will be charged directly to your hotel room folio for easy payment.
Travel Tips for Food Delivery on the Road
Getting food delivered to your hotel room can make travel easier and more enjoyable. Keep these tips in mind:
Having healthy snacks on hand like protein bars, nuts, and fruit can hold you over if delivery to your hotel isn’t readily available.
Research Options in Advance
Before your trip, Yelp and Google Maps can help you scout food delivery options near your hotel. Pin some go-to restaurants.
Take Advantage of Local Cuisine
Getting food delivered is a great chance to try unique local cuisine your hotel doesn’t offer. Make the most of it!
Order extra bottled water and beverages. Dehydration can happen easily when traveling.
Bring Your Own Menu
If your hotel has limited late night options, you can always order food from a favorite chain. Bring their menu.
Understand Hotel Etiquette
Be polite to staff and follow all hotel policies to keep delivery privileges available for yourself and fellow guests.
The Convenience of In-Room Dining
Ordering food delivery directly to your hotel room makes it easy to relax and dine in the privacy and comfort of your own space. With modern food delivery apps and services, hotel room dining is more convenient than ever. Follow the guidance in this article and bon appetit – your hot pizza or fresh meal is just a few clicks away, even when you’re on the road.